Wednesday, January 26, 2011
8 Assorted Facts
1) My Peace Corps service is a joke
2) It makes me sad that my blog speaks more to the administrative inner workings of Peace Corps than volunteer life in Africa.
3) I chose to take "Interrupted Service" and flew out from Accra on January 3rd.
4) Volunteers in Guinea were cleared to be placed at their proper sites on January 4th, the very same day that I arrived in Seattle.
5) "Interrupted Service" is a special option that volunteers may choose to take when there is not a viable assignment for them in-country. It is like an "Early Termination" (quitting) except that the fault does not lie with the volunteer, and the volunteer is eligible to return and finish his or her service once a viable assignment becomes available.
6) I specifically asked my Country Director if there was a minimum amount of time I would be required to return for, should the program fully re-open. She said no. Upon my arrival to the US, she recommended to HQ my immediate return to Guinea with my original COS (close-of-service) date of July 2011.
7) Peace Corps HQ has denied my request to be re-instated with my original COS date of July 2011, contrary to the recommendations of the program in Guinea.
8) I wrote the following letter to HQ today.